Evaluation


Evaluation

The production of my film studies AS coursework portfolio consists of the projects: my textual analysis that explores my macro study of representation of stereotype mothers in the films We Need to Talk about Kevin & Juno, my 9 key frames, and my screenplay with shot types for my sequel to Juno, and a location report for my sequel.

In our creative artefact project, we were given the specification of creating a sequel or prequel disruption/resolution scene for one of our two films we analysed in our textual analysis. Moreover, with this specification given, our individual project was to make a script, a series of 9 key frames, as well as a location report.

Therefore, within my case study, the film I’d chosen to create a screenplay for was Juno, as well as the purpose of my script was to create a sequel representing a disruption scene to which relates to my macro study of the representation of stereotype mothers.

Furthermore, I chose to do a sequel to Juno rather than a prequel as I already had a initial idea when given the specification to focus my sequel disruption scene on Juno’s daughter (Britney) becoming pregnant herself, representing history repeating itself as well as my macro study relation to mothers as it presents the popular theory of ‘like mother like daughter’ due to Juno’s teen pregnancy 16 years ago.

However, my own personal aim that was vital for me to include within my script was to makes sure my screenplay constructs a meaning, which in my case was the moral point of ‘Nature VS Nurture’. This is shown through my script as it is shown through Britney inheriting traits of Juno’s characteristics stating that despite how much Vanessa controls Britney and moulds her into the ‘perfect’ child, the natural biological inheritance is too powerful for Vanessa’s controlling ways.

Additionally, another pair of significant points that I made sure I included within my screenplay was to keep my main plot point realistic which is why I chosen to involve the storyline of a teenage pregnancy as especially in the recent generation through TV/Cinema, this is a popular storyline, as well as it’s a good narrative to continue with from the original Juno movie. Additionally, it was also important for me to include the aim of making sure my disruption scene would continue the narrative on, which I feel it did as it caused drama within my disruption scene therefore leading the sequel to solve a resolution to this disruption.

What is more, I felt it was of a high significance for me to involve the same characterization from the characters of the original Juno movie in order to sustain the same genre as the previous movie obtained which was a light-hearted comedy with dramatic events, which was vital for me to sustain to make sure the sequel relates to the original movie. For example, in my script, I involved Juno’s sarcastic sense of humour to which I felt popularized the movie in the first place, therefore not involving this characteristic in the sequel would be stupidly pointless and lose a huge relation to the previous film.

The purpose of my 9 key frames was to take 9 key stills of key moments within my disruption scene of my Juno sequel which constructed my macro study of the representation of stereotypical mothers, through the physical appearance of my use of my mise-en-scene and my use of cinematography. Moreover is was extremely significant for me to make sure that my key stills were produced to the best of my ability therefore making sure that they looked professional through software such as Photoshop.

Additionally, my decision of my mise-en-scene conformed to my macro study through my location as the office was tightly compacted and blandly organised which conformed to the control and organisation of a mother.

Additionally, my involvement of props I feel communicated the control of a mother & the high authority one holds especially through the use of the principle’s desk name plate which presents her power as well as the certificates behind her represents her pride, characteristics that strongly conform to the mother stereotype.

Moreover, I used a variety of low/high angles to represent the stereotypical mother authority, as well as close-ups to show intense emotion of the characters. Moreover, a strong use of cinematography that I used was the use of a variety of two shots between Juno and Vanessa as, through both characters body language, contrasted their stereotypical mother roles.


Furthermore, the location report had a strong input within the 9 key frames as due to short time management, because I attend a school with many offices, through this easy access it determines the story line of my script and my 9 key frames. However, I didn’t have permission to set design the location therefore, I had to use Photoshop.

A form of mise-en-scene that was analysed in my textual analysis that was a code and convention in my 9 key frames was the high key lighting in the original Juno movie, as it represented a illuminating glow to the scene representing a mothers stereotypical pride to their children prior to the disruption that takes place further within the scene.

Overall, I think that my 9 key frames and sequel screenplay performed successful to following my initial aims of; constructing a meaning, continuing the narrative, portraying a realistic yet creative storyline, as well as following my macro study of representation of mother stereotypes through the dialogue within my script and the micro input of mise-en-scene and cinematography within my 9 key frames. Additionally, I felt that my location`                  on report was professionally presented and very informative.
However, I feel that I could’ve improved my creative artefact by set designing the location for my 9 key frames in a more professional manner to appear like a principles office as I felt it could’ve been more decorative, as well as casting actors to play my characters to the exact age, however through time management this wasn’t possible for me, therefore my time management could’ve been improved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment